There are many reasons people begin looking for a new dentist. Maybe you have moved, maybe your dentist has retired, or maybe you just need a change. Most people rely on recommendations from family and friends and often we supplement that with information gathered online. However, keep in mind that the needs of your friends may be different than the needs of your family.
Therefore, there are different criteria you should keep in mind when choosing a new dentist’s office.
The first is location. It is easiest to keep appointments if the office is nearby home, school or work. Additionally, keep in mind any particular special needs you or your family may have. These could be the need for a pediatric dentist, a dentist that specializes in sedation dentistry for those who suffer from dental anxiety, or any particular insurance needs you may have.
Selecting the right dentist is a matter of looking for the right credentials. Most of the advanced and high-tech dentistry is not taught in dental schools. Therefore, it is important to make sure that the dentist you choose is fully up-to-date and qualified to perform newly innovated dental procedures. Additionally, you need to ask several questions of a new dentist.
- Is the dentist accepting new patients?
- How long has the dentist been in practice?
- Does the dentist treat patients with special conditions?
- For patients with dental phobias, find out what kind of relaxation techniques are offered.
- If you have a family, does the dentist see children as well as adults?
- How long does it take to get an appointment?
- Does the dentist offer the latest in dental technology?
- Does the dentist take continuing education courses and stay up to date with the latest techniques?
Regardless of your reasons for wanting to change dentists, being informed and asking the right will help you choose the right dentist for your needs. For more information on Today’s Dental of Boxborough, contact us.